Etherlive, noted for designing IT infrastructures at many of the UK’s headline festivals and public events, has created a ‘Christmas Tech Checklist’ to help organisers of seasonal markets and attractions who are looking to maximise revenue streams.
With just over 100 days to go before many of the UK’s key landmarks roll out their consumer Christmas offerings, Etherlive is calling on organisers of seasonal fairs and markets to pay as much heed to the behind the scenes infrastructures as they do with their grottos and lighting.
Tom McInerney, Etherlive’s director, explains, “Ice rinks and Wonderlands are no longer just about seeing Santa: they are increasingly an opportunity for retailers to sell products at pop-up stores and for bars and food outlets to cater for the attendees. These are multi-million pound operations and need up be planned as such.”
Etherlive provides the following points in its seasonal ‘Christmas Tech Checklist’
– Retailers all want to sell stock and therefore require a robust and secure payment method. Cellular (GPRS) terminals rely on networks not becoming congested, so look at alternatives like hard wired or Wi-Fi models.
– Understand the flow of the footfall using cameras to track movement and hotspots. In the short term, this can help alleviate congestion and in the longer term can aid site planning to maximise revenues.
– Remember that this is family time: there will be a huge demand for social networking sites to post pictures and to ‘check in’. As mobile systems may become overloaded, consider a branded Wi-Fi hotspot that can also allow data capture.
– Maximise social media channels by encouraging suppliers to run competitions through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
– Educate stall holders and suppliers on QR codes and how they can maximise their revenues through long term engagement with their audience.
– Consider cashless. Wristbands can be preloaded with money or topped up on site and are widely used at music festivals. Most significantly, their use of RFID technology means that they can also be used to securely monitor juniors in what is potentially the highlight of their year.
– Consider security: would CCTV cameras mean evidence collection for local police forces should they need it? This could mean security personnel can cover a wider area.
– Ends –
For further information or pictures,
please contact Triggerfish Communications 020 7233 9700
Notes to editors
- Etherlive is one of the UK’s leading providers of IT and communications technology for the live event sector.
- Etherlive is a specialist in large-scale indoor & outdoor events with multi-faceted communications needs, as well as being a major supplier to the corporate conference and events market.
- Etherlive has been appointed by the likes of WOMAD festival, RHS Flower Shows, Goodwood Festival of Speed, South West Four, the G8, Southampton Boat Show, London World Triathlon, Nokia, Amazon and Sony.
- Website: www.etherlive.co.uk
- Blog: www.etherlive.co.uk/blog
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/etherlive
- Etherlive Limited, Brinkworth House, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15 4HQ
- Tel: 01666 511862